Saturday, November 10, 2012

David Wax Museum, The Bishop, Bloomington, Indiana, October 30th, 2012

Some months ago, my cousin, Christie, wrote me about a band that she had seen at a small festival out east; David Wax Museum. My usual research involves a quick youtube search. Within the first few seconds of Born With A Broken Heart, I was won over; in love; smitten. Imagine my joy when I learned that David Wax Museum was coming to Bloomington. My daughter, Taylor and I, started our evening with a wonderful meal at FARM and then headed over to The Bishop for the show. Only a handful of people showed up. Of course, if you love live music as much as I do, a small crowd pretty much feels like there is a talented band in your living room. I imagine for the band, the feeling might feel like they wandered into a strange world of anonymity, resembling Children of the Corn. DWM front man and woman are David Wax and Suz Slezak. They fall right into my roots revial, Americana meets the Mexican border dream. Their music is edible and joyous; catchy like a fuzzy fish hooks at the end of silk guitar strings. Ms. Slezak plays a unique short list of instruments, most notably, a percussion donkey jaw bone. David Wax has a smooth voice that translates perfectly live. I could have watched and listened all night. Please come to Indianapolis your next trip through.

No comments:

Post a Comment